Thursday, November 24, 2011

Grtfl-1


A friend of mine posted a license plate today as her facebook image: GRTFL-1.

Happy thanksgiving.

This is the first year that I've hosted this fete, and I have had a lot of mixed feelings about it. I do prefer the idea of a holiday without racial, ethnic, political, religious, or other ideology that has evolved to just be simple: We are Americans, We are thankful.

But this also becomes such an ugly display of vices in our country, and I'm hoping to succeed at refocusing my own energies in a positive manner in spite of this. Billions of dollars spent on sport, pre-Black-Friday sales, unity-in-gluttony! For me, that means a healthy but still yummy meal, and focusing on my amazing husband, wacked-out-but-lovable family, and the greatest circle of friends a gal could ask for.

It is challenging to feel truly grateful, I think, for most of us... Let alone to express that sentiment in a genuine, uncontrived, honest, and straightforward way. I strongly suspect that this is the reason for all of the distraction for so many of us: parades, football, pigging out, excessive drinking.

As a "foodie" person, I have been carefully considering the real meaning and value of many Thanksgiving buzzwords: turkey (rejected for many reasons), pumpkin (yum), grateful (ideally), bounty (sounds good except for paper towel), stuffed (I prefer to avoid it).

I'd love to challenge you, dear reader (since you are probably my friend) to not eat to excess and instead feel charitable today. Thanks, and Giving. Today I'm giving thanks for my place on the planet, the people around me, mindfulness, and choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment